These pizza rolls can be a little tricky, especially in the rolling process that is why I wanted to make sure I make them on my cooking show, so you can see the process. These babies are so tasty I don't want you to miss out!! They have Homemade Pizza Sauce made out of fresh tomatoes, herbs, and spices. It doesn't take long to make this pizza sauce, just make sure you use really ripe and flavorful tomatoes, if you can get them at the farmers market, that's even better. The dough has a ton of flavor packed into it, I added garlic and thyme to the dough to really bring these pizza rolls up a notch.
I love the way herbs really make any ordinary recipe special. As you will see I use alot of herbs in this recipe, and there are worth it. I also use fenugreek as one of the main spices in my pizza sauce, many people are not familiar with fenugreek, it has a subtle sweetness to its flavor, and I won't make Italian Food without it!
Pizza Rolls are pretty much a hit all around with anyone you will be sharing these with. I tend to not add any cheese to mine, cause they really don't need it, but you can add cheese if you like. I show you where in the video.
If you like this video please subscribe to my YouTube Channel here
1/2c. (4oz) Organic Strained Tomato Sauce
1 small ripe tomato chopped
1/2tsp Fenugreek seed
1/8c. Onion chopped small
2 cloves Garlic chopped
Sea salt ¼ tsp.
Shake or two of pepper
1/2c. Garbanzo Flour
1/2c. Arrowroot Powder
1/2c, Tapioca Flour
1/3 c. Brown Rice Flour
1/2tsp. Sea Salt
1/2c. Hot Water
1 1/2TBLS. Honey
1 1/2 tsp. Yeast (half of packet)
1 Flax Egg (1 TBLS. Ground Flax Seed Mix With 3 TBLS. Water, Let Sit 5 Min)
2 TBLS. Coconut Oil
½ tsp. Apple Cider Vinegar
3 Cloves Garlic Chopped
1 TBLS. Thyme
1/3c. Brown Rice Flour (for bottom before dough)
3 TBLS. Brown Rice Flour (for top of dough)
8 Leaves Basil chopped
Sprinkle with rosemary
Drizzle olive oil
Sprinkle really lightly with sea salt
1) Make Sauce: saute garlic and onion in a pan for about 5 min, add fenugreek cook for 2 min then add all other sauce ingredients. Simmer on low with cover for 30 min, till it becomes saucy (makes a little over 3/4c. sauce
2) Make dough: place honey yeast and hot water from the tap into a bowl, whisk and let sit 10 min, the honey activates the yeast
Next: in a mixing bowl with hook or paddle attachment put Garbanzo flour, Arrowroot powder, Tapioca Flour, Brown Rice Flour, sea salt. Mix just till combine, add all other ingredients and mix for 3 min in mixer
3) Lay out plastic wrap on work surface. Generously flour the plastic wrap with 1/3c. brown rice flour.
4) Scrape batter onto plastic wrap. Generously flour the dough with brown rice flour then place another layer of plastic wrap over top.
5) Lightly roll out dough with a rolling pin until it’s about 1/4″ thick. You want a rectangle shape. Rolling from middle to edges makes a rectangle shape.
6) Remove the top layer of plastic wrap. Gently spread pizza sauce over the entire rolled out surface leaving a 1 ½ in border around the dough.
7) Sprinkle with basil and rosemary, 2 cloves of chopped garlic, drizzle olive oil. sprinkle really lightly with salt . Using the plastic wrap to assist you, gently roll up like a cinnamon bun, trying to roll it as tightly as possible.
8) Slice into 1″ buns with serrated knife.
9) Carefully move these buns onto a parchment lined baking sheet with lots of room left between buns for rising.
10) Let rise for about 1 hr in a warm place.
11) Preheat oven to 400°F.
12) Bake for 15-18 minutes until lightly golden brown.
Notes: Flouring your surfaces will do wonders to improve your results. So, don’t skimp on the brown rice flour!