Kids will love digging into this lunch box too! Just reduce or omit the bean seasonings for a kid-friendly version.
1 can pinto beans, drained
1/4 cup onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup pepper, chopped (red or green)
1/8 tsp. cumin powder
1/8 tsp. chili powder
Chili flakes – a couple shakes
*Cayenne – one shake (optional)
1/8 tsp sea salt
1 cup of your favorite dry rice (I use a mixture of basmati and red rice)
2 cups water (or amount directed on package)
1 ripe Hass avocado
1/2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
1/8 tsp. sea salt
1 small clove garlic, minced
Creamy Salsa Verde Dressing
2/3 cup cashews (raw, unsalted, and unsoaked)
4 tbsp. salsa verde (I like the kind at Trader Joe’s)
1/3 cup water
1 tbsp. fresh lime juice
3 cups salad greens
1 sliced ripe tomato
- Make Rice: In pot or rice cooker place dry rice and water. Cook until water is completely absorbed and rice is soft. Prepare other ingredients while rice cooks.
- Cook Beans: In a pan sauté onion, pepper, and garlic in ½ tsp olive oil for 3 minutes, add all spices and cook 2 minutes. Next add the beans to pan and cook for 5 minutes. Take off heat.
- Prepare Salsa Verde Dressing: Place all ingredients in a blender and blend till creamy.
- Make Guacamole: Scoop flesh of avocado into bowl, add all other ingredients and mash together until you get a creamy consistency.
- Assemble Lunch Box: Fill the bottom container with half rice, half mixed greens. Add the dressing to a leak-proof container and include in the bottom container. Fill one compartment of the top container with the bean mixture and the other compartment with guacamole and sliced tomatoes.
Keeping your avocado and guacamole fresh is all in the pit. That’s right the PIT! Don’t throw it out, it is what will keep you guacamole and avocado fresh.
How to: Make your guacamole, setting aside the pit. Once your guacamole is made, if you are putting it directly into your Bentgo Lunch Box, then place your pit in the middle of the guacamole. Remove the pit when you eat. If you are using half an avocado, always keep the unused half with the pit and it will stay fresh.
*Cayenne is very hot and spicy, add if you like a kick but be cautious with the amount.