Pomegranate Apple Crisp
It's fall...well officially...we here in Southern California have been having 90 degree days still, but I am still ready to eat like it is fall.
Someone has been bringing me insane amounts of pomegranates from their trees lately, so I have been coming up with all sorts of ways to use them. Pomegranates are insanely healthy and just what the body craves this time of year with on pomegranate containing almost 50 percent of your daily recommended vitamin C, as well as (B5), which can help with muscle cramping and prevent insulin resistance.
Apple Crisp is on of my all time favorite desserts, fruit crisps of nay kind of fruit are really, the best thing is you can basically always use the same recipe and just change up the fruit. So here is my most fabulous fall version of a crisp! Have at it!
4 Big Apples (any variety) THINLY SLICED!!
1 - 1 1/2c. Pomegranate Seeds (usually about 1-1 1/2 large Pomegranates)
1/2 of a Lemon Juiced
3/4c. Coconut Sugar Divided (1/3c. For Apple, the rest for Crumble)
1/2c. Quinoa Flakes
1/4c. Brown Rice Flour*
1/4c. Garbanzo Bean Flour*
1 tsp. Ground Cinnamon
1/2 tsp. Ground Nutmeg
1/3c. Soft Distilled Coconut Oil (like the texture of soft butter)***
1) Heat Oven to 375 Degrees
2) Spray a 9x9 Pie Dish or 9x4 in Pan
3) Mix Apples And Pomegranates In A Bowl With 1/3c. Coconut Sugar
4) Stir In Lemon Juice, This Gets The Juices Of The Apples Flowing
5) Mix All Other Ingredients Together For Topping, Except Coconut Oil
6)With A Fork Press The Coconut Oil Into Topping Mixture To Create A Crumbly Like Texture
7)Pour Apple Mixture Into Pan
8) Next Sprinkle Crumble Ingredients Evenly Over Apples
9) Bake for About 25-30 Min, Till Crumble Is Browning, The Apples, should be soft, and will cook more one you take them out of the oven, you want the crumble to be a deep brown but not burning on top
10) Serve and top with coconut cream or your favorite vanilla ice cream is you like
* Newbie Tip : you can also use 1/2c. all purpose gluten free flour instead of the other flours if yo like
** Make sure to THINLY SLICE your apples so they cook easily and fully
****The best source for distilled coconut oil is online from tropical traditions or there is one you can buy at whole foods 365 Organic Refined Expeller Pressed Coconut Oil-it will have no coconut flavor. You can use normal coconut oil if you like, the crisp will have subtle coconut taste to it
****Of course if you just want to make this as apple crisp with no pomegranate you can, you don't need to change the recipe