SoCal Salad with Avocado Dressing
Don't be fooled by how simple this salad is cause this is my top salad to make for a big gathering, or when I want to make a salad for a dinner party. It's subtle flavors pair perfectly with any dish or even on it's own, so it won't compete with other food that you are serving, yet it's unique enough that people will take note and ask you how you made it.
Usually when I tell people it has a avocado dressing they look at me a little puzzling and don't except that to be my answer. Obviously avocados have long been revered for guacamole and adding to salads, but most don't know that it also makes a delicious dressing. You can pump up this dressing a few ways, then just the basic recipe below.
1) Add Sriracha, and give it a spicy kick
2) Use pineapple juice instead of the lemon juice, this adds a little bit more a fruity flavor and turns the salad into more of a tropical dish instantly
Toasting the coconut really will make a difference in this recipe and people love crunchy bits in their salad, so don't skip that step!
Now Onward to the Salad...
1 Large Butter Leaf Lettuce
15 Cherry Tomatoes
1 Shredded Carrot
1/2c. Toasted Coconut (large pieces)
1) Toast Coconut in oven at 400 degrees for about 5 min, make sure to watch it! They burn quickly you want to toast your coconut just until its turning slightly brown. That's why I like the big coconut pieces for this, but you can use shredded coconut which toasts even more quickly.
2) If making Salad in a Big Bowl:
Tear Butter Leaf lettuce and place in bowl, top with cherry tomatoes, shredded carrot, and toasted coconut
1 Ripe Avocado
2 tsp. Fresh Lemon Juice
1/8 tsp. Sea Salt
*For a spicy kick add some Sriracha to the dressing!
I like to put my dressing in a squeeze bottle for easy use
3) Make Dressing: Mash Avocado
4) Whisk in all other dressing ingredients, adjust lemon juice, salt and water to your liking
5) Drizzle on salad, or put in container or squeeze bottle for serving on individual salads