These dumplings are an absolute Home Run, always everyone’s’ favorite which always takes me by surprise. Being gluten free I ALWAYS wanted to eat dumplings but never could so I was inspired to make these so that I could finally have some dumplings!!
Growing up in Minnesota I was very accustomed to eating wild rice and love to make recipes with it! You can use a blend or just plain wild rice for these, both ways taste excellent. Make sure to cook your rice as directed. Rice blends are usually 1:2 water to rice and wild rice is usually 1:4 water to rice ratio. Add a little Sriracha to these to get a little extra kick.
Make sure to read directions carefully, and you will have success with these.
3c. Wild Rice Cooked or Wild Rice Blend Cooked
12 Small Shiitake Mushrooms
1/2c. Red Pepper Chopped
5 Cloves Garlic Chopped
1/4c. Onion Diced
2 TBLS. Sesame Oil
½ tsp. Sriracha (optional)
¼ tsp Sea Salt
16 Rice Paper Wrappers
1 TBLS. Whole Ground Mustard
1 TBLS. Honey
1 TBLS. Water
2 TBLS. Sesame Oil
Pinch of Sea Salt
- Cook Rice according to directions
- Saute Vegetables: In a pan Saute onions and garlic for 5 min, add mushrooms and peppers, cook till soft.
- Note: If you pre-cooked your rice and it has cooled down, add to to this mixture in pan to re-heat.
- In a Bowl Stir Rice, Veggie Mixture, Sesame Oil, and Sea Salt
- Make Dumplings: Fill a baking sheet with warm water about ½ to ¾ full
6. Place wrap flat on plate, spoon 2 spoonful’s of rice mixture into center of wrap. Gather all side of wrap into the middle, secure with toothpicks from opposing sides to secure top. place wrap on parchment paper.
Note: The rice paper will be stiff when you start to gather edges it will completely soften once it’s sit on a plate. You don’t want the rice paper to be to soft when you start because the dumpling will not work right.
7. Repeat with remaining wrappers, place on parchment without each touching each other, you don’t want them dumplings sticking together
- Make Dipping Sauce: this step is optional, the dumplings have a lot of flavor all on their own, but sometimes it nice to have a dipping sauce. Whisk all dipping Sauce in a bowl till blended
- To Serve: Gently Remove Toothpicks from Dumplings trim the top off right BEFORE the closure, you will want to do this step because the tops are too much added starch in the mouth. Then serve with the dipping Sauce